**Must have experience with ocean carriers AND overseeing a large transportation spend**
Position Description (Responsibilities):
- Lead, manage and drive all transportation activities for domestic and international freight with an emphasis on ocean freight
- Develop, review and communicate procedures for transportation to ensure continued compliance, reduce lead times, maximize customer satisfaction. This includes the development and/or maintenance of standard operating procedures throughout the network.
- Analyze & develop a logistics strategy based on changing business needs to optimize supply chain activities (e.g. cost reduction, service enhancements, strategic partnerships and customer collaborations, continuous improvement opportunities)
- Negotiate and build strong partnerships with providers leveraging our spend to drive cost efficiencies and high service levels
- Work collaboratively and foster strong work relationships within the organization including Sales, Customer Experience, Warehousing & Inventory, Sourcing, and Planning. Assist other departments with coordination of shipments
- Develop and review performance through the use of key performance indicators including customer-specific scorecards and carrier-specific scorecards
- Keep current with the latest transportation industry trends, technology, and systems
- Negotiate and build strong partnerships with our carriers and third-party partners.
- Lead Quarterly Business Reviews with our carriers and 3rd party partners.
- Ability to multi-task and remain highly organized in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Responsible for the development, maintenance, and ownership of reporting related to forecasts, accruals, and budgetary responsibilities.
- Directly manage the logistics staff and 3rd party partnerships. Planning, assigning and directing work. Coach, train, mentor, and supervise in all areas relating to transportation operations while appraising performance. Addressing and resolving problems as they arise.
- Live the values and culture and do whatever it takes for the pets who depend on us
This position is suited to a high-energy and highly motivated operations professional with approximately 7+ years of transportation and/or logistics management experience in a corporate setting, ideally in the food or fast-moving consumer goods industry with a specific proven track record of managing and forecasting inbound and outbound freight. Other requirements include:
- BS degree required in Logistics, Operations, Business or related discipline
- 7+ years of experience in a corporate setting in a transportation-related role required
- Experience working with domestic and international freight (ocean freight experience required)
- Experience owning a transportation spend/budget, while ensuring cost-effectiveness and customer performance via carrier scorecards
- Working knowledge of ERP/MRP/TMS systems. TMS implementation experience a plus
- Highly proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Relationship management experience with third party freight management partners
- Exemplary planning skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Skilled negotiator
- Committed to high levels of customer service, especially to timely follow-ups and issue resolutions
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Creative thinker who can bring new ideas and approaches to solving problems and seizing opportunities
- Able to travel quarterly as necessary
- Independent and self-driven
- Collaborative, team player with a "can-do" attitude
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and takes a proactive approach
- Ability to multi-task and remain highly organized