Senior Employment Counsel; Global Charter Corporation
A Global Charter Corporation is looking for a Senior Employment and Benefits Counsel to join their team. This position will support the Legal team in advising Human Resources and management on a broad range of domestic and international employment matters, including compliance with applicable federal, state, city and county employment laws, international employment matters, internal employee and compliance-related investigations, harassment & discrimination matters, employee training, disciplinary matters, leave of absence, independent contractor classification and FLSA review, contract review.
This role will also provide support to the Legal Department and Human Resources Department by advising on the administration and implementation of all benefits plans, and programs, including retirement, medical, dental, vision, voluntary benefit, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability plans and programs.
The Senior Employment Counsel will:
- Evaluate potential legal risks based on applicable employment laws and provide related guidance to Human Resources and business partners regarding harassment, discrimination, leave, separations and other employee-related matters;
- Partner with Human Resources and/or Security Departments to conduct internal investigations regarding a broad spectrum of employee relations matters, including reports of employee malfeasance, leaves of absence issues, hotline reports, audits, immigration matters; prepare investigation reports and provide recommendations to Human Resources and business partners;
- Partner with Human Resources and manage outside counsel to develop and execute strategies to promote Affirmative Action Plans (AAP) and EEO goals and to review of AAP audit requests, provide recommendations to support AAP goal attainment;
- Partner with Human Resources and business partners to handle international employee matters, including managing outside counsel, responding to employee concerns and complaints, preparing employment contracts, and reviewing local country work rules and policies to maintain compliance with relevant laws/regulations and best practices;
- Review and evaluate requests for independent contractors and new employees and advise any potential misclassification issues from DOL, IRS and/or FLSA perspective;
- Evaluate and advise on questions arising out of the design, implementation, and administration of various ERISA retirement, health and welfare and compensation plans and programs;
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure all benefit plans and programs are in compliance with applicable regulatory and legislative requirements in various jurisdictions, including but not limited to ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, and PPACA
- J.D. from a top law school
- Minimum of 3+ of meaningful employment law and employee benefit experience advising Human Resources and management either in a law firm or in-house
- Firm knowledge of federal employment laws (i.e., Title VII, Civil Rights Act, Equal Pay Act, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, WARN) is required, and preference for familiarity with Kentucky state and local employment laws
- Firm knowledge of U.S. benefits laws and regulations including IRS code, ERISA, PPACA, COBRA, and HIPAA. Working knowledge of international benefits schemes and regulations
- Must be a current member of a state bar in good standing
The firm offers a full benefits package including health, life, dental, and vision along with a great 401K plan, equity packages and more. They genuinely value you as an employee and offer flexible working hours, paid holidays and time off. If you are interested in becoming a part of something truly inspiring, this is an opportunity that you should hear more about.